Elected officials update...

Well, state Senator Huff got back to me.  Here is the letter:


Thank you for contacting my office regarding your concern about gun control in light of the tragedy in Connecticut.  I appreciate you taking the time to write me on issues mattering most to you. 
It goes without saying that what took place at Sandy Hook Elementary school is one of the saddest tragedies in American history.  My heart goes out to everyone who is affected by that shooting.  However, a rash jump to conclusions and new gun control laws on the issue is not the answer in my eyes.  Mental health services must be part of the discussion to curb gun violence.  I have added a link on my Senate website regarding where to go for mental health services.  Please go to: http://senweb03.senate.ca.gov/focus/mentalhealth/index.html
I am a supporter of the Second Amendment and I have always opposed measures that seek to diminish a gun owner’s right.  Making it harder for law abiding citizens to carry their weapons or ammunition does not accomplish anything, nor do I think it would have prevented the tragedy in Connecticut.  In fact, a recent article in the Sacramento Bee states that while gun sales in California have increased, gun injuries have actually decreased.  While there have been many bills introduced in California dealing with this subject, the greater debate will take place on the national level.  I would encourage you to share your thoughts with your federally elected officials as well.  Rest assured, your thoughts on this issue were logged and taken into consideration. 
Once again, thank you for contacting me.  If I may be of further assistance on this or any other state-related matter, please do not hesitate to contact me at either of my offices.  It is an honor to represent you in the State Senate.
Sincerely,
Bob Huff
Senator, 29th District

Yea, even though I am a gun nut, I'm not clicking on that link...

jc

No comments: